Chile Rellenos Bake
This will keep in the fridge for a few days, but you probably won't have any leftovers.
- Chile Rellenos Bake
- (Makes 6 servings, recipe from Brooke with slight adaptations by Kalyn)
- 1 26 oz. can roasted and peeled green chiles (or use about 24 roasted and peeled green chiles.)
- 4 cups grated cheese (I used 4-Cheese Mexican blend from Costco, which is a low-fat blend of Monterey Jack, medium cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, and Asadero cheese)
- 1 lb hamburger meat or ground turkey
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced green onions
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat milk
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chile powder (I used ground Ancho chile powder from Penzeys)
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Chile Rellenos Bake
(Makes 6 servings,)
Put green chiles in a colander placed in the sink and let drain for about 15 minutes. While chiles drain, preheat oven to 375F.
Spray glass or crockery casserole dish with non-stick spray or olive oil. (I used a 9" X 13" dish, but anything close to that size will work.) Use your thumb to split open each chile, scrape out any lingering seeds, and make a flat layer of chiles covering the bottom of the dish. (I alternated every other chile facing the opposite way because they're slightly v-shaped.)
Cook turkey or hamburger.
Top chiles with half the grated cheese, half meat mixture, then sprinkle on green onions. Make another layer of flattened chiles, followed by the rest of the cheese and meat.
Put eggs into a bowl and beat well, then add milk, ground cumin, and chile powder, and stir until well combined. Pour egg-milk mixture over chiles and cheese, taking care to get it evenly distributed. (The egg-milk mixture will not completely cover the casserole.)
Cover dish with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking time, then remove foil and bake until mixture is bubbling and cheese on top is lightly browned, about 40 minutes total baking time. (You can cook it without the foil, but watch it carefully or the top will get too brown. Cooking time without foil will be slightly less.)
Serve hot, with sour cream and salsa if desired. This will keep in the fridge for a few days, but you probably won't have any leftovers.