- 1 pound mixed dried fruit chopped
- 1 1/4 cups freshly-brewed tea
- 1 cup brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 2 3/4 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg beaten to blend
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Place fruit in large bowl. Pour tea over fruit. Add brown sugar and mix well. Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Add flour, milk, egg, marmalade and cinnamon to soaked fruit mixture. Stir until combined. Spoon dough into prepared loaf pan.
Bake until bread is brown and crusty and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 2 hours. Cool slightly. (Can be prepared up to 4 days ahead. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature.)
This recipe yields 1 loaf