SPAM and Cheese Sandwich with Kimchi
- 1 (12-oz.) can SPAM
- 1 ⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 8 potato rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- 4 tsp. sriracha hot sauce
- 8 tbsp. roughly chopped prepared cabbage kimchi
- 8 tsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
Adapted from saveur.com
Slice SPAM into 8 slices, then halve each slice crosswise. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, coconut milk, and sesame seeds; set aside. Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add SPAM to skillet and cook, turning once, until browned, 8–10 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain; set aside. Working in batches, place rolls in skillet and toast until browned, 1–2 minutes.
Heat oven to 350°. To assemble sandwiches, spread coconut mayonnaise on both halves of buns, then divide cheeses among bottom halves. Top each with 2 slices SPAM, 1 tbsp. chili sauce, ½ tsp. hot sauce, 1 tbsp. kimchi, and 1 tsp. cilantro. Cover with top buns and place in oven. Bake until cheese begins to melt, 3–4 minutes. Serve hot.