Dried Fruit Stewed With Brown Sugar And Vanilla
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar - (firmly packed)
- 1 package mixed dried fruit - (8 oz)
- 4 orange slices
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece vanilla bean - (abt 1" long) split lengthwise
- Plain yogurt or sour cream for serving
- Ground cinnamon for serving
Combine all ingredients except yogurt and ground cinnamon in heavy medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until fruit softens, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Transfer fruit only to glass bowl, using slotted spoon. Boil liquid until reduced to 1 cup, returning liquid exuded from fruit to saucepan, about 10 minutes. Pour liquid over fruit, discarding orange slices.
Serve warm, room temperature or chilled, topping with dollop of yogurt and dusting of cinnamon.
This recipe yields 4 servings; can be double or tripled.