- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of sugar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 5mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar.
2. Slowly add oil, whisking until emulsified, or shake the ingredients in a jar, or whirl them in a blender.
To make different types of vinaigrette, do the following:
Garlic: Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1/2 clove crushed.
Balsamic: Substitute balsamic vinegar for the wine vinegar.
Lemon Parmesan: Use fresh lemon juice instead of vinegar; add 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan.
Scallion: Add 3 chopped whole scallions (about 1/4 cup).
Herb: Add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley, or tarragon. Blue Cheese: Add 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Roquefort.