- WALNUT CHIP COOKIES:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter - (1 stick) cut 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate chopped (or semisweet chocolate or 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips)
- ICE CREAM:
- 1 pint ice cream of choice
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
For Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 6 ingredients in processor and blend. Add butter and vanilla. Process until mixture resembles fine meal and begins to stick together, using on/off turns. Add walnuts and process until finely chopped. Mix in chocolate.
Transfer mixture to sheet of waxed paper. Press together. Top with another sheet of waxed paper. Roll out 1/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies using 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter. Transfer to ungreased cookie sheet.
Gather scraps, reroll and cut additional cookies. Sprinkle cookies with sugar. Bake until just beginning to color, about 22 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet on rack 5 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies to rack and cool. (Can be prepared 3 days ahead. Store in airtight container.)
For Ice Cream: Soften ice cream slightly in refrigerator. Turn 8 cookies over and gently spread 1/4 cup ice cream atop each. Top with 8 cookies, sugared side up. Freeze until firm.
Melt 3 ounces semisweet chocolate in top of double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Dip fork in chocolate and drizzle in free-form lines over top of sandwiches. Freeze until chocolate design is firm. (Can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Cover and freeze.) Soften slightly in refrigerator before serving if frozen very solid.
This recipe yields 8 servings.