- Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Sopapilla Recipe Instructions
1. Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl and cut in shortening.
2. Make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add water to dry ingredients and work into dough.
3. Knead dough until smooth, cover, and set aside for 20 minutes.
4. Heat 2 inches of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
5. Roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a lightly floured board. Cut dough into 4-inch squares and fry until golden on both sides, turning once. (If shortening is hot enough, the sopaipillas will puff and become hollow shortly after being placed in the shortening.) If you can’t get them to rise, try spooning the hot oil over the top of them. (That’s a trick that most people don’t know; works every time)
6. Drain sopapillas on absorbent towels.