Mixed Berry Scones (CC)
- WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
- to scones baked. A simple glaze of butter and honey adds a nice finish to the scones.
- 8 8 SCONES
- 1 3/4 1 3/4 3/4 cups (8 3/4 ounces) frozen mixed berries
- 3 3 3 tablesoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 3 3 cups (15 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 12 12 1/2-inch tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, chilled
- 1/3 1/3 1/3 cup (2 1/3 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 1 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 1 1/4 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 3/4 2 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 1 1 large egg plus 1 large yolk
- 2 2 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1 1 tablespoon honey
1. FOR THE SCONES: Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. If your berry mix contains strawberries, cut them in half. Toss berries with confectioners’ sugar in bowl; freeze until needed.
2. Combine flour, 6 tablespoons butter, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor and process until butter is fully incorporated, about 15 seconds. Add remaining 6 tablespoons butter and pulse until butter is reduced to pea-size pieces, 10 to 12 pulses. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Stir in berries.
3. Beat milk and egg and yolk together in separate bowl. Make well in center of flour mixture and pour in milk mixture. Using rubber spatula, gently stir mixture, scraping from edges of bowl and folding inward until very shaggy dough forms and some bits of flour remain. Do not overmix.
4. Turn out dough onto well-floured counter and, if necessary, knead briefly until dough just comes together, about 3 turns. Using your floured hands and bench scraper, shape dough into 12 by 4-inch rectangle, about 1 1/2 inches tall. Using knife or bench scraper, cut dough crosswise into 4 equal rectangles. Cut each rectangle diagonally into 2 triangles (you should have 8 scones total). Transfer scones to prepared sheet. Bake until scones are lightly golden on top, 16 to 18 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking.
5. FOR THE GLAZE: While scones bake, combine melted butter and honey in small bowl.
6. Remove scones from oven and brush tops evenly with glaze mixture. Return scones to oven and continue to bake until golden brown on top, 5 to 8 minutes longer. Transfer scones to wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Unbaked scones can be frozen for several weeks. After cutting scones into triangles in step 4, freeze them on baking sheet. Transfer frozen scones to zipper-lock freezer bag. When ready to bake, heat oven to 375 degrees and extend cooking time in step 4 to 23 to 26 minutes. Glaze time in step 6 will remain at 5 to 8 minutes.