Spinach and Ground Beef Stuffed Shells
First tried November 2016. Makes a lot and freezes well.
- 6 ounces jumbo pasta shells (about 12-14 shells)
- 2 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. tomato pasted
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a big pot boil 6 cups of water and cook shells al dente (according to package directions).
2. While shells are boiling heat a large pan or skillet. Add the ground beef (no oil needed) and brown for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped onions, garlic, basil,oregano tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 2 minutes then add the spinach and simmer for 2 more minutes.
3. After the shells are cooked (be careful not to overcook because the will start to break apart) and the meat sauce is ready put the mixture in the shells and line them up in a 13 x 9 casserole dish. Pour marinara sauce over the top, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.