Double-Crust Chicken Pot Pies
6 servings of 6 individual ramekin pot pies.
- 2 (14.1-oz.) pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
- 1/2 cup (4oz.) unsalted butter, divided
- 2 (6oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups diced russet potato (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion (from 1 onion)
- 1/2 cup diced carrot (about 1 small)
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. finely chopped garlic (about 3 garlic cloves)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. water
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Let piecrusts stand at room temp for 15 minutes. Unroll 2 piecrusts onto a lightly floured surface. Cut 3 (5-inch) circles out of each crust. Gently roll each circle into an 8 inch round. Coat 6 (12 oz.) ramekins with cooking spray. Gently fit 1 piecrust round into each ramekin, lining the bottom and sides. Gently crimp dough over the top edge of ramekin to secure it. Prick dough with a fork along bottom and sides. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 13-16 minutes.
2. Melt 2 Tbs. of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high. Add chicken, cook until done, 5-6 minutes per side. Remove from pan; let stand 10 minutes. Shred the chicken.
3. Add remaining 6 Tbsp. butter to skillet. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 min. Add potato, onion, carrot, thyme, garlic, and oregano to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and lightly browned, 7-8 minutes.
4. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup of the stock in a small bowl, and add to skillet. Stir in salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and remaining 2 cups stalk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas, cream, and shredded chicken. Transfer mixture to a bowl, and cool 10 minutes.
5. Stir together egg yolk and water in a small bowl. Unroll remaining 2 piecrusts onto lightly floured surface. Cut 3 (5 in) circles from each crust. Gently roll each circle into a 5 1/2 inch round. Fill each ramekin with about 3/4 cup chicken mixture, pressing down to level mixture. Top each ramekin with 1 (5 1/4 in) dough round, pressing to seal to bottom crust. Brush tops with egg mixture, and, if desired, top with cutouts or rounds from extra dough. Cut small slits in tops of dough to vent steam. Bake at 400F until golden brown, 22-25 minutes.