Tuscan Vegetable Soup
From Janet Calinsky
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium canellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 T. chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 32 oz. low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan, optional
In a small bowl mash half of the beans with a masher or the back of a spoon, and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, 1/2 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper, and cook stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth and tomatoes with the juice and bring to a boil. Add the mashed and whole beans and the spinach leaves and cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes more.
Serve topped with parmesan