One of the all-time classic Italian recipes!
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 2 (16 oz.) jars spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 (16 oz.) package lasagna noodles
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups ricotta
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley flakes
- dash black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
Brown meat in large skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add garlic, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and wine. Simmer 3-5 minutes. Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally 10-15 minutes.
Drop lasagna, singly, into 6 quarts boiling water to which 2 tablespoons salt have been added. Boil for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir with wooden spoon. Drain and rinse with cold water.
Combine eggs, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, and pepper. Blend well.
In a greased 13" x 9" x 2" pan, arrange a layer of lasagna. Spread with a layer of ricotta cheese mixture, a layer of meat sauce and a layer of sliced mozzarella. Repeat until all ingredients are used. Save enough of the sauce to pour over top. Finish with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
Back in 350°F oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.