Home Made Ice Cream
- For 1 gallon: 8 egg yolks, 2 c. sugar, 4 c. milk, 4 c. cream, 1 vanilla pod.
- For 2 gallons: 16 egg yolks, 4 c. sugar, 8 c. milk, 8 c. cream, 2 vanilla pods.
- For 3 gallons: 24 egg yolks, 6 c. sugar, 12 c. milk, 12 c. cream, 3 vanilla pods.
- For 4 gallons: 32 egg yolks, 8 c. sugar, 20 c. milk, 20 c. cream, 4 vanilla pods.
- For 5 gallons: 40 egg yolks, 10 c. sugar, 24 c. milk, 24 c. cream, 5 vanilla pods.
In a bowl, add egg yolks and sugar, beat until thick and lemon colored. Set aside. In a heavy saucepan over low to medium heat, add milk. Slowly bring milk just to a gentle simmer or until it beings to bubble around the edges. Remove from heat. Gradually stir hot milk into beaten egg and sugar mixture with a wire whisk. Pour mixture back into the saucepan. Over low heat, stirring constantly, heat until the mixture thickens and will coat the back of a metal spoon with a thin film. On your instant read thermometer it should reach 165-180°. Do not let mixture boil or it will curdle. If this happens, process until smooth in a blender. Chill mixture in refrigerator overnight and the next day make ice cream.