Crispy Waffle Recipe
Used an egg waffle machine as I did not have a normal waffle machine.
- 2 eggs separated
- 2 cups whole buttermilk ( homemade - 2 cups milk with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar. Can use lemon juice or white vinegar as well)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp amaretto (can substitute 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 7.5 oz all-purpose flour, by weight (1.5 cups, if measuring)
- 2.5 oz cornstarch, by weight (1/2 cup, if measuring)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from fifteenspatulas.com
Separate the egg yolks and whites, and beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk, vegetable oil, and amaretto to combine.
Whisk to combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Combine the leftover egg whites with the sugar, and whip to stiff peaks (if you lift the beaters straight out of the egg whites, then invert the beaters, the egg white should stand up on its own as a stiff peak).
Stir the buttermilk liquid into the flour mixture (make sure the batter is still a little lumpy), then fold in the egg whites, being careful not to deflate them.
Pour the batter into a preheated waffle maker and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Enjoy!
Note: If the waffles don't get crispy enough in your waffle iron, place them on a rack set on a baking sheet (or it can be the rack in the oven if it's clean) and bake in a 250F oven for another 5-10 minutes, until crisp.