Red Quinoa Salad
Amanda Haas, Cooking Light Real Family Food, Oxmoor House
- 1 cup uncooked red quinoa
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) diced seeded tomato
- 1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diced seeded cucumber
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 lemon wedges
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and place in a large bowl. Let cool 1 hour.
2. While quinoa cools, combine oil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 20 minutes.
3. Add dressing, tomato, and next 4 ingredients (through chickpeas) to quinoa; toss well. Add cheese, and toss gently. Serve with lemon wedges.
Kids Can Help: With a child-safe knife, kids can chop the tomatoes and cucumber, and then crumble the feta.
Amount per serving 1 3/4 cups + 1 lemon wedge
Calories from fat: 0.0%
Saturated fat: 5g
Monounsaturated fat: 14.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 3.8g