Gluten Free Cake Flour Blend
I use this gluten free cake flour blend for all of my cakes and muffins, now. Regular cake flour contains a little less protein than typical all-purpose flour and a tiny bit more than pastry flour.
- 1 1/4 cup superfine white rice flour
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 cup sorghum or oat flour
- 1/4 cup superfine brown rice flour (or more superfine white rice flour)
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (for Hershey's chocolate cake use 2)
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum for corn-free)
Adapted from glutenfreerecipebox.com
Mix all ingredients well by whisking and shaking.
For best results sift together one to two times.
If you are making a yellow or white cake you may consider using more white rice flour in place of the brown rice flour, as the mix above makes it a tiny bit brown. Though sorghum is a bit on the brown side, this recipe uses very little and does not effect the yellow color of cake
. If using this gluten free cake flour blend to substitute regular all-purpose flour in a recipe I suggest baking at 350°F, no matter what the recipe calls for, and adding a bit more fat: oil, butter, etc.