Oven Baked Chimichangas
Get rid of the pot of oil to deep fry! These are fried & crispy clones! Trust me folks.
- 1-1/2 pound Ground Turkey ( Or Chicken)
- 1 package Taco Seasoning (1.25 Oz)
- 1-1/4 cup Water
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Chopped Fresh Oregano
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1 can Fire-roasted Green Chiles (7 Oz.)
- 1/2 cups Diced Fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Chopped Green Onions
- 1/2 cups Low Fat Sour Cream
- 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 6 Flour Tortillas (burrito Sized / Large)
- 1/2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese (to Melt On Top)
- GARNISH: Tomatoes, Lettuce, Cheese, Guacamole, Salsa, Sour Cream
Adapted from tastykitchen.com
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Saute poultry until cooked through and starting to brown. Add taco seasoning and stir. Add water and stir. Over med – low heat cook until liquid has reduced 2/3.
Add cumin, oregano, cilantro, chiles, tomatoes and green onions. Simmer until the rest of the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese.
Lay tortillas on wax paper and brush both sides with the melted butter. Spoon 1/6 th of filling into center of tortilla and fold like and envelope.
Put tortillas, seam-side down on a non-stick sheet pan. Spaced so they DO NOT touch. Bake 20 -25 minutes or until golden and crisp. Sprinkle with cheese and return to oven to melt. Serve with the garnishes.