- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in shortening with fork or pastry cutter until crumbly. Stir in Cheddar cheese. Stir in buttermilk and stir just until moistened.
2. Turn out dough onto a floured cloth. Knead until dough is soft and easy to handle. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Cut into 8 wedges.
3. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Starting at the wide end, roll up each wedge. Place biscuits on lightly greased baking sheet.
4. Bake at 400° for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
To freeze baked biscuits:
While still warm, place each biscuit in sandwich bag. Press out air and seal. Allow to cool to room temperature. Place bagged biscuits in gallon freezer bag. Label and freeze.
To freeze unbaked biscuits:
Arrange unbaked biscuits close together in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in freezer just until frozen. Transfer frozen biscuits to freezer bag. Label and freeze.
Thaw and serve. Heat briefly, if desired.
Thaw. Bake at 400° for 12 to 14 minutes.