Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Makes 4 servings
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- 2 cups canned Italian tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons each seeded and minced fresh or drained canned mild green chiles and jalapeno peppers.
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pkt instant chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp each oregano and basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 corn tortillas (6" diameter)
- 6 oz skinned and boned cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 oz shredded cheddar cheese divided
1. In blender process 1 1/2 cups tomatoes until pureed, dice remaining 1/2 cup of tomatoes and set aside.
2. Spray 2 quart saucepan with nonstick spray and saute onion, chilis, peppers garlic, cook over med-high heat.
3. Add pureed and diced tomato, water, broth mix, and seasonings and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until sauce thickens about 20-25 minutes.
4.In 13x9" baking dish spread 1 cup of sauce, dip both sides of tortilla into sauce to soften and transfer to dish. Spoon 1/4 of chicken and 1/4 oz of cheese. Roll over sides of tortilla to enclose filling. Repeat with other 4 tortillas
5. Spread remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese
6. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 15-20 minutes