Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Rolls:
- 1 box of Duncan Hines white or yellow cake mix (this would be great with a spice mix as well)
- 2 packages of dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2-1 cup butter, softened
- 1 can Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Frosting Starter
- 1 packet Duncan Hines Frosting Creations Cinnamon Roll Flavor Mix
- ( I made my own frosting recipe so if you want to you can too)
Preparation time 141mins
1. Mix yeast and warm water until dissolved.
2. Combine cake mix, salt and flour in a large bowl.
3. Add warm water/yeast mixture and vanilla to cake mix, salt and flour mixture. Mix well. This may require kneading with your hands a bit to completely combine ingredients.
4. Cover tightly. Let rise for one hour. Punch down and let rise again for another 30-60 minutes.
5. On a floured surface, roll dough into a rectangle shape, approx 1/4″ thick.
6. Once dough is rolled out, brush with softened butter. I found that one stick was adequate for this recipe, but you could use more (or less) if desired.
7. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Sprinkle with cinnamon – use as little or as much as you like.
8. Starting at end opposite from you, roll the dough towards you until all dough is rolled into one long piece.
9. Slice dough into 24 equal sized pieces.
10. Place rolls in two greased 9×13 pans. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. I usually sit my rolls on my stovetop while my oven preheats to 350 degrees. This allows them time to rise and provides a bit of warmth from the oven warming.
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes or until golden brown. My rolls took approx 22 minutes. This will depend on your stove and your preference for how brown you like your cinnamon rolls.
12. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
13. Prepare your Frosting Creations Cinnamon Roll frosting. If you prefer your frosting to melt into your rolls, frost after rolls have cooled for 10-15 minutes. If you prefer your frosting to stay on top of your rolls, wait until rolls have cooled until frosting.