Portobello Bruschetta With Rosemary Aioli
- 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 6 portobello mushrooms - (4" dia ea) stemmed, and dark gills removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 red onions sliced (abt 6 cups)
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons thinly-sliced green onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 sourdough or French-bread baguette 3 1/2" dia, cut into 24 slices
- Additional olive oil
- 3 large bunche arugula - (abt 5 oz) coarsely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Rosemary Aioli (see recipe)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix vinegar, honey, brown sugar and thyme in medium bowl. Transfer 1/2 cup marinade to small bowl; set aside. Place mushrooms in 15- by 10-inch glass baking dish. Pour remaining marinade over mushrooms. Cover baking dish with foil and bake until mushrooms are tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to work surface; cool. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch-wide slices.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add red onions and sauté until very tender and beginning to brown, about 25 minutes. Pour in reserved 1/2 cup marinade and cook until liquid is absorbed and onions are glazed, about 6 minutes. Set onions aside.
Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Enclose in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes. Peel, seed and chop peppers. Place peppers in medium bowl. Add green onion, basil, garlic and 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine. (Mushrooms, onion mixture and bell pepper mixture can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place bread slices on baking sheet. Brush bread with additional olive oil. Bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
Layer portobello mushroom slices, arugula, onions and then bell pepper mixture atop bread slices. Bake until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle bruschetta with Rosemary Aioli. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 24.
The restaurant-style results of this recipe are worth the effort. Use roasted red peppers from a jar instead of roasting fresh ones, if desired, and note the do-ahead steps.