Mixed-Grain Salad With Dried Fruit
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 chopped shallots
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup wheat berries (also called hard wheat berries)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup Sherry wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage (or 2 tspns dried rubbed sage)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped pecans
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice, wild rice and wheat berries; stir to coat. Add 2 cups water and 2 cups stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until grains are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir cranberries, apricots, and currants into grains. Cool to room temperature.
Whisk vinegar, walnut oil, and sage in small bowl to blend. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.)
Stir pecans into salad and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.