Crispy Baked "Fried" Chicken
- Canola oil
- 6 chicken pieces (2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs, 2 wings)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Adapted from food.com
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Pour 2 teaspoons olive oil nto baking dish large enough to hold 6 chicken pieces. Rub oil over dish with your fingers so it's completely but lightly coated. Set aside.
3. Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry.
4. In wide bowl or plate, season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge each piece of chicken through flour so it's completely coated. Tap chicken against bowl to jar loose excess flour and set pieces aside. Discard flour.
5. Crush corn flakes by placing them in large resealable plastic bag, carefully pressing bag to push out air. Seal up bag and run over flakes with a rolling pin. Open bag and pour crushed flakes into a wide bowl or plate.
6. In large bowl, mix buttermilk, mustard, ground mustard, red pepper, paprika, sage and sesame seeds. Give each floured chicken piece a good buttermilk bath and then roll in corn flake crumbs.
7. Arrange chicken pieces in oiled baking dish and slide the dish into hot oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes, lower heat to 375 and cook for another 25-30 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Juices should run clear when meat is pierce with a knife. Serve.