Green Curry Chicken
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oi plus
- additional oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons Thai green or red curry paste
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1 package ready-to-use fresh spinach - (10 oz)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Steamed rice for serving
Combine 2 tablespoons fish sauce, garlic, sugar and pepper in medium bowl. Add chicken. Refrigerate 1 hour.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add curry paste; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, stock, sugar and 2 tablespoons fish sauce. Simmer until flavors blend and sauce thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Keep warm.
Cook spinach in pot of boiling water until soft, about 3 minutes. Drain well. Cool spinach and squeeze dry. Transfer spinach to blender. Add 1/4 cup sauce and basil; puree mixture.
Using electric mixer, beat egg whites, cornstarch, flour and 1/4 cup water in large bowl until smooth. Drain chicken; add to batter, stirring to coat.
Pour enough oil into heavy large pot to reach depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350 degrees. Working in batches, add chicken to pot and deep-fry until cooked through and golden, turning frequently, about 2 minutes. Using tongs, transfer chicken to paper towels.
Add spinach puree to sauce. Bring to boil. Remove from heat. Place chicken atop steamed rice. Pour sauce over; serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.