Bangkok Salad With Miso Dressing
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white or yellow miso
- 2 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 20 wonton wrappers cut 1/3" squares
- 1 head romaine lettuce torn bite-size
Purée vinegar, miso, garlic, sugar and ginger in blender. With machine running, gradually pour in 1/2 cup olive oil; blend until mixture is creamy. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat 2 cups vegetable oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add wonton squares to pan and fry until crisp and brown, about 30 seconds. Using slotted spoon, transfer wontons to paper towels; drain.
Place lettuce and fried wontons in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.