- 1 deep 24cm blind-baked pastry case
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 lean rashers of smoked dry cure bacon , chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 284 ml carton single cream
- 150 ml milk
- 140 g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- generous grating of nutmeg
Preheat the oven to fan 160C/conventional180C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and stir fry the bacon for a minute or so until lightly cooked.
Beat the eggs, cream and milk together with a fork then add the cheese, nutmeg and plenty of seasoning. Stir in half the bacon and carefully pour the mixture into the baked pastry case then scatter over the remaining bacon.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the filling is set, starting to turn golden and slightly puffed up above the pastry case. Allow to cool a little before removing from the tin. Serve warm or at room temperature, with a green salad.