Filet Mignon With Merlot Sauce
- 1 bottle Merlot - (750 ml)
- 2 cans low-salt chicken broth - (14 1/2 oz ea)
- 1 can beef broth - (14 1/2 oz)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/4 stick) room temperature
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 filet mignon steaks, 1" thick - (6 oz ea)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Boil wine, chicken broth and beef broth in heavy large saucepan over high heat until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Mix butter and flour in small bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and cracked pepper. Sauté steaks until medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to plate.
Add shallots, garlic and thyme to skillet; stir 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups reduced wine mixture to skillet (reserve remainder for another use). Bring mixture to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add butter mixture and whisk until smooth. Boil sauce until thick enough to coat spoon, about 2 minutes. Serve steaks with sauce.
This recipe yields 6 servings.