Chocolate Chip-Macadamia Nut Bars With Shortbread Crust
- FOR CRUST:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - (1 stick) chilled, and cut into 1/2" pieces
- FOR FILLING:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted, cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped macadamia nuts - (abt 7 oz)
Make Crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend flour and sugar in processor. Add butter; process using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to 8-inch square glass baking dish. Press mixture onto bottom and 3/4 inch up sides of dish. Bake until crust is golden brown on edges, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare the Filling: Whisk sugar, flour, eggs, butter and vanilla extract to blend in large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
Pour filling into warm crust, smoothing surface. Bake until filling is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes. Transfer dish to rack; cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.) Cut into 16 squares.
This recipe yields 16 bars.