- 1 chicken - (4 1/2 lbs) quartered, and backbone removed
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes - (abt 14 oz ea) peeled, each
- cut into 6 pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper or more to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 cup frozen green peas thawed
- Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sprinkle chicken pieces generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle oregano and garlic powder over chicken; set aside.
Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over high heat. Add potatoes and sauté until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer potatoes to bowl.
Add chicken to same pot and sauté until golden brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Add garlic cloves and dried crushed red pepper and sauté 2 minutes. Return potatoes to pot. Remove pot from heat. Add stock. Return to medium-high heat and bring to boil.
Cover pot tightly; transfer to oven and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Add peas to pot; cover and bake 5 minutes longer.
Transfer chicken to platter. Arrange potatoes and peas around chicken. Pour sauce from pot over chicken. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Note: Make this as fiery as you like by adjusting the amount of crushed red pepper.