- 3 lbs assorted vegetables, such as yellow squash, zucchini, Portobello mushrooms, fennel, and scallions
- For marinade
- 5 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp chopped scallions
- 3 tbsp grated or finely chopped sweet white onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- For the garnish
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or reduced balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt or kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Trim the vegetables and cut them, with the exception of the mushrooms and scallions, 1/4 inch thick. Discard the mushrooms stems, and leave the scallions whole.
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or sealable plastic bag. Mix and crush the ingredients with your hands, directly or through the bag, squeezing them to release maximum flavor.
Toss the vegetables in the marinade and let them absorb the flavors for no longer than 30 minutes.
Preheat the BBQ to medium-high. Drain the vegetables, reserving the marinade, and put them on the well-oiled grill.
Pour the marinade into a foil pan or heatproof pan and set on the grill.
Cook the vegetables, turning them frequently and moving them regularly back and forth between the grill and marinade, until well caramelized on all sides.
Transfer to a platter, sprinkle with the chives, parsley, oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.