Italian Style Pot Roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 lbs beef roast (such as chuck roast)
- 12 oz. cipollini, blanched, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced thinly
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly, including the leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 2-inch long)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced in half
Preparation time 45mins
Cooking time 300mins
1 Preheat your crock pot to High heat.
2 In a large skillet, heat oil over med-hi heat. Add roast and brown well on all sides.
3 While roast is browning, (optional) chop pancetta or bacon into small pieces.
4 Chop onion, carrot and celery as well.
5 Mince garlic.
6 Place browned roast in crock pot.
7 Reduce heat in skillet to medium and add the pancetta, onions, carrots and celery to pan.
8 Saute until starting to soften. Then add garlic, salt, pepper, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaves.
9 cook and stir for 1 more minute.
10 Add tomato paste and wine. Stir and bring to a boil.
11 Pour over roast in crock and turn roast to make sure it is coated on all sides.
12 Cover and cook on Low for 10-12 hours or Hi for 5-6 hours.
13 When meat is done, remove to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
14 Pour sauce from crock into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until it is reduced by about 1/3. Taste for seasoning.
15 Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick and cloves if you can.
16 Add olives and heat through.
17 Serve sauce over meat.