Ancient Grain And Vegetable Patties
- 2 cups water (or vegetable stock)
- 2/3 cup millet rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup quinoa rinsed, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup red onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus
- additional for oiling cookie sheet
- 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms roughly chopped (or other mushrooms of choice)
- 1/3 cup finely-diced carrot
- 1/3 cup finely-diced celery
- 1/3 cup diced seeded red pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup spinach or Swiss chard triple washed, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons quinoa flour (or brown rice flour)
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tablespoons freshly-chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
In a medium saucepan, place the water, and bring to a boil. Add the millet, quinoa, salt, basil, oregano, thyme, and pepper, stir to combine, and return the mixture to a boil. Cover the saucepan, reduce the heat to low, and simmer the grains for 18 to 20 minutes or until all of the water has been absorbed. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, in a dry non-stick skillet, place the almonds and sunflower seeds and cook them over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Transfer them to a small bowl to cool.
In the same skillet, saute the red onion in the olive oil for 3 minutes to soften. Add the mushrooms, carrot, celery, and red pepper, and continue to saute an additional 5 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp tender. Add the garlic and saute an additional 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Transfer the slightly-cooled grains to a medium bowl. Finely chop the toasted almonds and sunflower seeds and add them to the cooked grains. Add the sauteed vegetable mixture, along with the remaining ingredients except the cornmeal, and stir well to combine.
Using a little olive oil, lightly oil (or mist with oil) a non-stick cookie sheet and set aside. Place the cornmeal on a small plate. Using a 1/2-cup measuring cup, portion the grain-vegetable mixture into 6 patties. Dust the patties on all sides with the cornmeal and place them on the prepared cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve the patties plain or with your choice of condiments.
This recipe yields 6 patties.