- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter chilled, and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup whipping cream plus
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2/3 cup diced crystallized ginger
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter baking sheet. Blend flour, sugar, baking powder and lemon peel in processor. Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Transfer mixture to large bowl. Make well in center; add 3/4 cup cream. Using fork, stir until just moist. Mix in ginger. Transfer dough to floured surface and gently knead until smooth, about 8 turns.
Divide dough in half; pat each portion into 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut each round into 6 wedges and transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. Brush tops with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
Bake scones until light brown, about 18 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Rewarm in 350 degrees oven before serving.)
This recipe yields 12 scones.