- 2 cups crustless day-old country-style
- white bread in 1/2" cubes
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 large plum tomatoes - (abt 1 1/2 lbs) chopped
- 1 cucumber peeled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dry Sherry
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
Combine bread and 1/2 cup water in medium bowl. Let stand until most of water is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
Combine 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup chopped cucumber and chopped parsley in small bowl; stir to blend. Set aside for garnish.
Combine bread mixture, remaining tomatoes, remaining cucumber, red bell pepper and next 5 ingredients in large bowl; stir to blend. Working in 2 batches, add bread-vegetable mixture to blender and then purée until smooth. Strain gazpacho into large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until very cold, about 2 hours. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Ladle gazpacho into bowls. Garnish with reserved tomato-cucumber mixture. Serve well chilled.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.