Chicken Stew/Soup (Kathleen)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 415 ml low-salt chicken broth
- handful fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 2 chicken breasts with ribs
- 400 g cooked kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Heat oil in a heavy 5 1/2-litre saucepan over medium heat.
Add celery, carrot and onion. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf and thyme.
Add the chicken and press down to submerge.
Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently, uncovered, until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken over and stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
Using tongs, remove chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes.
Discard the bay leaf.
Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced to the consistency for stew or soup, about 10 minutes.
Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Shred or cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
Return the chicken meat to the pot. Bring to just a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.