- 8 ounces whole-grain tempeh
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 can crushed tomatoes in puree - (28 oz)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 2 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 small bay leaf
Using your hands, crumble tempeh into fine pieces. Set aside.
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, 15 seconds. Stir in tempeh, 1 cup water and tamari. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove cover and simmer until liquid is reduced and tempeh begins to sizzles.
Add remaining ingredients to tempeh mixture and mix well. Cover and simmer sauce 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per Serving: 181 Cal; 10g Prot; 7g Total Fat (1 Sat. Fat); 24g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 358mg Sod.; 6g Fiber.