Tofu Eggless 'Egg Salad'
- 1 pound medium-firm tofu drained
- 1 large celery stalk finely diced
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- 1/3 cup soy mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard - (to 2) to taste
- 1 teaspoon good-quality curry powder
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Warmed pita breads or whole-grain bread
- Dill pickle spears
- Tomato wedges
Drain the tofu and break it into several pieces. Place it in a mixing bowl and mash well with a fork until it has the texture of cottage cheese. Add the diced celery and scallion.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and curry powder and mix well. Pour this mixture over the tofu mixture and stir well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve in warmed pita breads or spread on whole-grain bread with dill pickle spears and tomato wedges alongside.
This recipe yields 4 servings.