"Route 66" Chili
- 3 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder cut 1" pieces
- All-purpose flour as needed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 poblano chilies chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes in juice - (28 oz)
- 2 cans enchilada sauce - (19 oz ea)
- 1 bottle amber ale - (12 oz)
- 1 can diced green chilies - (7 oz)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Sour cream
- Sliced green onions
Dredge pork in flour to coat; shake off excess. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add pork and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to large bowl.
Add remaining 1/4 cup olive oil to same pot. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add poblano chilies and garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Mix in pork, diced tomatoes with their juice, enchilada sauce, ale, diced green chilies, cumin and chili powder. Simmer until meat is tender and chili thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.
Serve chili with sour cream and sliced green onions.
This recipe yields 8 servings.