- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENT (for each batch of stew):
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 8 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 cup water
In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, carrots, celery, potatoes, water, rice, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until thickened. Freeze in 3-cup portions for up to 3 months.
To use frozen stew: Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Transfer to a saucepan; add water. Cook until hot and bubbly. Yield: about 5 batches (15 cups total).