Empanada Puerto Rican
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄2teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ⁄2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⁄4cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 lb browned ground beef or 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1 ⁄2medium onion, diced
- 1 ⁄2green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ⁄8cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ⁄8cup sliced green olives
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- For cooking
- For Cooking
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
Combine all the dry ingredients in electric mixer, add all the wet ingredients. Mix for about 3 minutes until well combined. Dough will form.
Take it out and knead for about 3 minutes, let sit wrapped in plastic-wrap for another 15 minutes.
Divide into 12 pieces, then roll into 4 inch circles.
Brown ground beef (drain excess grease), or sauté shredded chicken in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add all the ingredients and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Let cool.
Preheat the oil in a frying pan at about a medium temperature. Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the dough and seal the edges with a fork.
Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, then place on dish lined with paper-towels.