Mom's Homemade Granola
Delicious granola that we had at our favorite B&B in Virginia.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 T. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Berries, plain yogurt and more honey for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Line a half baking sheet with foil. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Mix oats, cranberries, almonds, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
Combine butter, sugar and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts and the mixture begins to boil. Add vanilla and stir. remove from heat.
Pour butter mixture over the oats, mixing until well coated. transfer to the prepared pan and, using a spatula, press oats evenly into pan.
Bake until the top is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. * (see notes) Transfer to a rack and cool. Using the foil as an aid, lift out of the pan and place on a work surface. crumble into pieces. Serve with berries, plain yogurt and honey.
* May substitute raisins for cranberries. Watch baking granola carefully. After 10 minutes, it can go from brown to burnt very quickly. Stir to get even browning. Lift foil out of pan and place on a cool surface after removing from oven to stop cooking.