Baked French Toast With Cardamom And Marmalade
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 1/4 cups orange marmalade
- 10 slices egg bread - (4" by 4" by 1"-thick)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- CITRUS SYRUP:
- 1 1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
Make French Toast: Butter 15- by 10- by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread marmalade evenly over 1 side of each bread slice. Cut slices diagonally in half, forming triangles. Arrange triangles crosswise in dish, marmalade-side up and overlapping slightly.
Whisk milk and next 7 ingredients in large bowl. Pour custard over bread. Let bread stand 1 hour, basting occasionally, or cover and refrigerate overnight.
Make Citrus Syrup: Mix first 5 ingredients in small bowl, stirring until sugar dissolves. Let stand at least 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake French toast, uncovered, until puffed and golden brown, about 50 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve with citrus syrup.
This recipe yields 10 servings.