Aïoli With Vegetables
- 4 large garlic cloves peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Steamed cut-up fresh vegetables, such as
- red-skinned potatoes, carrots, zucchini, fennel bulbs, cauliflower and green beans
- 6 hard-boiled eggs shelled, each
- cut into 4 wedges
Using mortar and pestle, mash garlic with salt until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to processor.
Whisk 6 tablespoons oil, lemon juice, egg yolks and 1 1/2 tablespoons water in small metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of barely simmering water (do not allow bowl to touch water). Whisk constantly until thermometer inserted into mixture registers 140 degrees for 3 consecutive minutes, about 9 minutes total. Cool slightly. Transfer to processor with garlic.
With machine running, gradually add remaining 3/4 cup oil in thin steady stream and blend until thick (if oil is added too quickly, mayonnaise will separate and become runny). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to small bowl. (Aïoli can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)
Place bowl of aïoli on platter. Surround with vegetables and eggs.
This recipe yields 6 servings.