Wild Rice Soup
This soup has wild rice and lean chicken, it’s a wonderful soup that is simple and delicious. The whole family will love it’s rich and tender goodness. I have posted the original recipe however, I substitute veggie stock and leave out the chicken.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups wild rice, cooked
- 1 cup chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 1/4 cup minced chives, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from laaloosh.com
1. In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat.
2. Saute the onion, carrot and celery for 3 – 5 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
3. Add the flour and stir until the vegetables are coated.
4. Add the broth, stirring constantly.
5. Stir in the rice, chicken, salt and pepper.
6. Simmer for 15 – 20 minutes.
7. Add the milk and simmer for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Serve hot, garnished with chives, if desired.