Chicken and Biscuit Bake
Basically a cross between chicken and dumplings and a pot pie; comes together in a convenient casserole!
- 3 cups (approx.) of cooked, shredded chicken (I used 2 breasts for this)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup (half of a stick) butter, melted
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed veggies (allow to thaw for about 30 minutes before adding to recipe)
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Warm chicken stock in a small sauce pan and add in the bouillon cubes to dissolve. Keep warm until ready to use.
3. Lightly coat with non-stick spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish or large, round casserole dish (mine was a 12" round). Pour in the melted butter.
4. Layer the shredded chicken on top of the butter.
5. Sprinkle on the veggies.
6. In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk and Bisquick. (It's okay if there are a few lumps remaining.)
7. Pour over the chicken and vegetables. DO NOT MIX!
8. Sprinkle on a little black pepper, if desired.
9. Combine the cream of chicken soup with the warmed stock in a small mixing bowl.
10. Once blended, slowly pour over the Bisquick layer. Again, DO NOT MIX!
(Yes, it'll looks like a big, soupy mess. Trust me ... this is what it's supposed to look like!)
If using a 9 x 13 pan, bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until casserole is set and top is brown and bubbly. If using a large, round dish (mine was 12"), bake for 50 - 55 minutes or until casserole is set and top is brown and bubbly.
Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!