Decadent Chocolate Lava Cakes
- Optional toppings:
- 1/2 cup cubed butter
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped – be sure to use a high quality of chocolate
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- Whipped cream
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Fresh strawberries or raspberries
- Vanilla ice cream
Melt the butter and chocolate in a medium bowl in the microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and, if necessary, microwave in 30 second increments until smooth. Stir in the confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, egg yolks, instant coffee and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. If baking immediately, spoon batter into ramekins.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. Do not over bake.
Remove ramekins to a wire rack and cool about 5 minutes. Run a small knife around the cakes to loosen and invert warm cakes onto serving plates. Lift ramekins off cakes. Serve warm with one or more of the optional toppings.
If making ahead; pour into prepared ramekins, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. When ready to serve, uncover, bring to room temperature and bake as directed.