- 1 Italian bread loaf
- 6 slices hard salami
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 6 slices mortadella
- 6 thin slices capicola (seasoned smoked ham) or other cooked ham
- 4 thin slices provolone
- 3 bottled hot cherry peppers or pepperincini, to taste sliced thinly
- 3 roasted peppers sliced very thin
- 3/4 cup finely shredded lettuce
- 1/2 small onion sliced very thin
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh herbs - (parsley, thyme, oregano and basil)
Halve the rolls horizontally, leaving one edge uncut to form a hinge. Moisten the cut side of the rolls with vinaigrette, and on the bottom halves of the rolls layer the salami, the prosciutto, mortadella, capicola and then the provolone, peppers, lettuce and onions.
In a small bowl whisk red wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, oil, and stir in fresh herbs, drizzle the dressing over the fillings, and cover the fillings with the top halves of the rolls. Cut each sandwich in half.
This recipe yields ?? servings.