Oven Roasted Vegetables
- 3 medium parsnips or 2 large parsnips peeled, quartered
- 2 medium carrots peeled, quartered
- 8 small red potatoes halved if large
- 2 small white turnips quartered
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 white pearl onions peeled
- 4 garlic cloves trimmed, but unpeeled
- 1 large portobello mushroom stemmed, and cut into 8 wedges
- 8 Brussels sprouts trimmed, halved
- 8 shiitake mushrooms stemmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter diced
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leafed parsley leaves
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
In a large bowl, toss the parsnips, carrots, potatoes and turnips, in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated. Arrange the vegetables cut-side down on a large baking sheet and roast on the bottom shelf of the oven for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are beginning to brown. Turn the vegetables 2 or 3 times during cooking to prevent burning.
In the same bowl, toss the pearl onions, garlic and portobello mushroom with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated. Add this mixture to the baking sheet of vegetables and gently stir to combine. Continue roasting for 7 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a small saucepan of salted water to boil and blanch the Brussels sprouts for 1 to 2 minutes. Cool thoroughly under cold running water and drain. Set aside separately.
In a small bowl, combine the shiitake mushrooms and the Brussels sprouts and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper, until coated. Add them to the baking sheet of vegetables, stirring to combine. Dot the butter over the vegetables and sprinkle with 1/4 cup wine. Roast for another 7 to 10 minutes.
Remove the vegetables from the oven and gently mix them with the thyme and parsley before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.