House Salad With Creole Mayonnaise Dressing
- 1 medium egg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 medium white onion diced
- 2 1/4 cups canola, vegetable, or corn oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts cleaned, and diced into 1" by 1" pieces
- 1 bibb lettuce head cleaned, and diced into 1" by 1" pieces
- 16 ounces pecan smoked bacon
- 4 eggs
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese shaved
- 1 1/2 cups Brioche Bread Croutons (see below)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- BRIOCHE BREAD CROUTONS:
- 1/4 pound melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 cups Brioche bread in 1/8" dice
Place the egg, lemon juice, and onion into the workbowl of a food processor and puree. With the motor running, slowly add 1/2 the oil. Then add the hot sauce, pepper, and salt. Stop the motor, scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, and with the motor running again, slowly add the remaining oil. Taste and adjust salt. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for 1 week.
For the Salad: Dice bacon and bake in 250 degree oven until crisp, drain grease and hold warm.
For the Brioche Bread Croutons: Mix all the herbs in butter. Pour butter over croutons. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in 200 degree oven for 2 hours. (Makes 3 cups)
Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to slow simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and chill in ice-bath or under running cold water. Peel and dice.
Place lettuce in bowl. Add 3/4 of bacon, 3/4 of eggs. 3/4 of croutons and 2 cups Creole Mayonnaise. Mix well. Season to taste.
Divide salad onto 4 plates. Garnish with remaining bacon, eggs and crouton. Add shaved Gruyere to top of salad
This recipe yields 4 servings.