Slow-Cooker Meat Sauce
- 2 pounds ground Italian sausage (I used sweet)
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 3 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 parmesan rind
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 2 teaspoons fresh)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (to your taste)
In a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot set over medium/high heat, brown sausage and ground chuck. Remove from heat, drain excess fat, and transfer cooked sausage and beef to 6-quart slow cooker.
Return dutch oven to stove. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions and peppers are soft and garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Transfer vegetable mixture to slow cooker.
Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, wine, parmesan rind, thyme, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve sauce over your favorite pasta, baked potatoes, or garlic toast.